ALGWA Tasmania History
The inaugural meeting of the Australian Local Government Women's Association Tasmania Branch was held in August 1978 at the Town Hall in Launceston.
The Australian Local Government Women's Association was formed in Canberra on 15 October 1951, at the Women's Convention convened by Dame Enid Lyons during the Commonwealth of Australia Jubilee Year celebrations.
Representatives of women's organisations throughout Australia had attended the convention and during this meeting, women involved in local government identified their common interest in women's participation in local government. The decision was made to continue this association and it was decided to form the Australian Local Government Women's Association with a view to establishing committees or branches in all states.
Councillor Violet Lambert of Fern Tree Gully Shire in Victoria called the inaugural meeting and a provisional committee was elected. The first branch of the Australian Local Government Women's Association (ALGWA) was formed in Sydney in 1952.
In 1963 ALGWA adopted a constitution which emphasised the non-party political nature of the organisation which continues in branches across Australia.